Saturday, February 4, 2017

Rowdy Flat Library Quilt Block 3

I am having so much fun with Susan Smith's Rowdy Flat Library Quilt pattern.  Block 3 is finished and I am really happy with it! There are lots of little details like birds, bugs and flowers. This little bird is totally adorable! I cut him from a piece of fabric from an old charm pack. My goal was to centre one of the little flowers to create her eye. She measures about 1" tall and 1.75 wide. That is tiny and it also gives you an idea of just how small the leafs are. At first I didn't think I would be able to make such tiny appliques but I've found over the years that the best approach is to focus on just one small piece and take your time with it. When you focus on the whole it is overwhelming. I made the little rosy breast and that went fine so I then moved on to the bird's body. I just worked slow and took my time.


The is a caterpillar in this block too!


I cut the caterpillar from a leftover scrap from my quilt Mom's Flower Bed. This is the fabric I started with.


It made all of the stars in this quilt (except of course for the dark green stars) and it made the caterpillar in my  Rowdy Flat Library quilt.
Mom's Flower Bed by Karen H

Another little scrap of this same fabric was used to make a snail! I wanted something that mimicked the swirls and curls of the snail shell.


This is my finished block 3.


For me the hardest part of making a quilt from another person's pattern is fabric selection. I am so influenced by the fabrics the designer used and I find it very difficult to make my own choices. I don't have that problem when I make my own quilts.  You may recall my hexagon quilt along called Value Proposition. I did publish colour pictures of each block but I also published black and white pictures. When the colour is removed you see the value (the relative lightness or darkness of one fabric when compared to another). This little trick often helps me make fabric choices because I can search for a fabric that is lighter or darker and colour is much less of an influence.

Time to get back to sewing my polka dot hexagons and prepping for teaching tomorrow! Until I post again, happy sewing.
Karen H

30 comments:

  1. This was a timely post for me as I am feeling overwhelmed by my task. Your words--to start small and concentrate--is good advice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowdy Flat is going to be one of my favourites, I think. It is fabulous on so many levels. My thought on fabric choice is always to keep what you like, and change where you see room for improvement. Often the original fabrics are part of why you chose it in the first place. Looks amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your bird block. I like how your flower center forms an eye for the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. And the other little bird is even tinier! An exceptional block.
    Have fun tomorrow teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!Such detail you must be an amazing teacher.You sure make a person ,think outside the box

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Block #3 is gorgeous!
    Your detail to fabric placement/movement is wonderful.
    So many beautiful (and (tiny) details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just so wonderfully macabre in the very best possible way - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful--I can see you are having a great time with Rowdy Flats--so many fun fabric choices! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Happy to see you back, AND your little mischief maker(in the last post) too!! Love the applique and little creatures in your Rowdy Flat Library quilt. You always do such a wonderful job of creating them. (Still can't get used to the "skull" figures, so I will just enjoy all the cute parts) ;) Glad to hear you are having so much fun teaching and doing trunk shows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... and thank you for the tip about removing the colour from a quilt pattern, and changing it to black and white, in order to choose our own colours by value. I have been struggling with that same problem when trying to decide on colour for some patterns. I will give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to hear from you again and your Rowdy Flats progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow your work is like eye candy for me-I love viewing what you make-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love your posts! Had considered doing the Rowdy Flat until I saw all those tiny applique pieces! Love your suggestion of starting small & concentrate. Love how all your little critters are turning out. Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful work! I love your blocks and how you stress to take your time and not get overwhelmed. so Lovely! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your RFL is looking so spectacular! love your gorgeous fabric choices and love how you see those fabrics. I usually print all my patterns in Black and White so that I just see that pattern. Most patterns I don't see so much the fabric but the design... probably because I am not a designer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post this is. It is nice to know as I work alone in my little sewing room that I am not alone with some of the issues I face. Fabric choice is my Achilles Heel of quilting it seems. I am rarely completely happy with my choices. But yours are superb! Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, your work is so lovely.
    Thank you for sharing yourself. I do enjoy the view... :) Lee in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, your work is so lovely.
    Thank you for sharing yourself. I do enjoy the view... :) Lee in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the tiny little critters!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whow! this is looking so wonderful! Great stuff and wondering how your winter has been?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such beautiful work! I love your blocks and how you stress to take your time and not get overwhelmed. so Lovely! ♥


    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    Gclub จีคลับ


    ReplyDelete
  22. After seeing your lovely work I purchased this pattern, I just LOVE your choice of background, do you remember what it is called, I’d love to use it if it’s still available.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are, without a doubt, an excellent webmaster. The speed with which the site loads is incredible. It appears as if you're performing a one-of-a-kind trick. In addition, the contents are a work of art. You've done a fantastic job on this subject! I'm excited to offer a fantastic article about the latest BSL Shaders 1.17.1 version for Minecraft. I hope you love this shader set as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Le joli site contient vraiment des choses ici, mais si vous voulez convertir un fichier dans n'importe quel format, voici un site appelé fusionnerPDF Le format est pratique pour enregistrer des fichiers qui ne nécessitent pas d'édition mais qui sont faciles à imprimer et à partager. Si vous avez tendance à modifier un fichier protégé par copyright pour cela, consultez ce site fusionnerPDF

    ReplyDelete
  25. Obrigado por este site. Eu aprecio seu trabalho. muito bom eu tenho um site que muda sua fonte no Insta, Facebook, Snapchat, e outras redes sociais se você quiser mudar seu nome de usuário Visite letras personalizadas

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good work! nice to read your article and learned a lot of knowledge. Thank you here I also have something like that if wanted to see then click here nds emulator

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Sir, I'm Alan Joseph thanks for sharing this wonderfull article it's really informative for eveyone here is a some information about digital marketing please click here

    ReplyDelete

  28. Hello Sir, I'm Lacy RAY thanks for sharing this wonderfull article it's really informative for eveyone here is a some information about digital marketing please click here

    ReplyDelete