Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The pilchards have colour

I've added a little more colour to my pilchards. They are a oily fish and I wanted to give them some of that iridescent look that that type of fish often has. I added some ocher and violet to create the effect and am very pleased with how it turned out! I love how the print of the fabric shows through and creates the illusion of fish scales! In case you are new to my blog these pilchards will be a block in my Cornish quilt which I am calling The Meadery.


The pieces that will connect the fish were constructed and sewn to the fish.


All that's left is to decide what fabric I will use in the middle and then make a brown ring for the barrel.

I've also managed to stitch another block for my Road 66 quilt. These blocks are so much fun to make and they are big. The hexagons are 1 1/4" whereas my hexagons for The Meadery are 3/4"!


That's it for today. Time for a cuppa and a little sewing! Until I post again, happy sewing.
Karen H

23 comments:

  1. Your are definitely the Queen of fussy cutting. Your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them both! Your creative mojo is in overdrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fish are amazing! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fish is nice. It looks real. I see the fish in the wheel. Great. Groet, Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your pilchards! You are such a good artist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, is this awesome Karen.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, your fish are wonderful, I'm so enjoying seeing your Cornish quilt come to life. I'm living in Bude so a different type of scenery to that you are describing but it's all so beautiful and varied in this part of the country. The Route 66 blocks are lovely as well. Celia in sunny Cornwall, England

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely fabulous pilchards....you're a great artist..Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again - you have created something very unique! Love the way this has come together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is genius. WOW I hope to get back to my hexagons this winter. I am slowly doing my LE.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Pilchards look absolutely fantastic. So subtle, yet so clear! That background fabric truly is perfect for them. Very awesome indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pilchard block! I had to pin this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is so enchanting. I love your projects as always. Very inspiring!
    Thank you for your nice comment on my blog.
    Now I have to go watch "Doc Martin" as I quilt to live some of the Cornish beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a clever idea--the fabric is perfect as a background for the fish! I love the movement of the blue hexagons on your Road 66 rosette too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never thought of a fish as exquisite, before. See what you've done to me. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new Road 66 rosette -- your work is so inspiring, Karen And the pilchard wheel is great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous Karen, love, love the fishes even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen, I love your pilchards. The block looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen, all I can say is you are so talented and creative! The pilchards are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pilchards are just perfect Karen. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete