Friday, January 23, 2015

Back in the middle again

My Birds in the Loft hexagon quilt is growing under my fingers! I've now stitched together the first couple of rounds that will form the centre panel.


I've been pondering the filling in of the opening with my bird fabric. The simplest option would simply be to cut a circle from the fabric, place it under the opening and applique it in place. Nice but it is a little bland for my taste and rather on the small side. I think that a larger piece is required for the centre.


Another option would be to make a rosette of larger hexagons and applique in on top of the centre panel. Very pretty and interesting but I want to use the birdie fabric. I'll save this rosette for another project.


At this point my plan is to work with an oval shape. I've made a paper template and pinned it to the quilt. I'll modify the shape just a little but of the three options this is by far my favourite. I think it has an elegant look and feel....like an antique mirror! It also complements the shape of my panel.


Today I'll cut the red hexagons for the next round and time permitting manipulate the centre oval until I get it just right!

This Saturday is GROW YOUR BLOG Day organized by Vicki at 2 Bags Full. There will be lots of interesting blogs to discover, many of which will have giveaways! I'll be participating and I'll have a little giveaway planned!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. IT looks nice with the birds in the middle. Also the one with the rosette.
    Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need the birds in the center somehow...the oval was also my fav choice since it was the largest :-) Will the birds also appear elsewhere in the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thé first idea! Nice place for your fabric with birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the oval! I am really enjoying watching this project grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love your plan to have the birds in the middle. It is fun to watch your progress. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love the hex's with the little point in the middle - they are very striking when added to a motif! Enjoy the blog party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always appreciate seeing your auditioning process!!

    ReplyDelete