Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Another 241 Tote Bag with hexagons

I signed up for another one of Lia's Handmades Secret Tote Bag Swaps. This time everyone is making the Noodlehead 241 Tote. It is a great pattern that is fast, fun and easy to make! My partner wrote in her profile that she loves hexagons but has never made a hexagon quilt! I decided to make her a bag that is embellished with hexagons. I started with a dark taupe fabric that has a linen look about it; I rough cut it larger than the pattern piece, layered it on t80/20 batting and quilted with free form quilting.

Side A

Side B

My next step was to trace the  pattern on the front of my quilted panels so that I could accurately place my hexagons. They were hand appliqued in place. Once the applique was completed I trimmed the panel to the correct size. I did it this way because the dense quilting may have reduced the size of the panel so the bag wouldn't go together properly. Also I wanted to minimize fraying from handling whilst doing the applique.



And here's the finished bag. I lined it with a happy lime green and added a pocket that was fussy cut from a Kaffe print.

The bag has a magnetic closure.


These are the goodies I tucked inside. In the centre is a little zippered pouch and then from the top working clockwise are yellow bee note cards, a little olive green silk notebook, 100 1" hexagon papers, a Prym Needle Twister, a scissor fob/pincushion, Schmetz topstich needles and a hardcover needle book made from the lining fabric.


I made the pouch from a pattern I found here. The hardcover needle books make terrific gifts even for friends who don't sew because they still need a place to store needles and pins. The pattern can be found here. The scissor fob/pincushion is my own design and you can  read my tutorial so you can make your own!


My partner has now received her bag and she is very happy with everything! There's a knock at the door - I wonder who it is? Go grab yourself a cuppa - I'll be right back!

It was the letter carrier with a package. What was inside you ask? A gorgeous tote bag from my secret partner, CeLynn in Colorado. She was worried that she didn't get the colours right but she sure did! But first look at all the lovely goodies she tucked inside the bag! There was a quilt pattern, pincushion, purse frame, buttons, zippered pouch, tissue holder, stabilizer and an lovely little fabric pine cone ornament. Who's a lucky swapper? Me of course. But the best part is yet to come... the bag is STUNNING!


These are pictures taken by CeLynn. I had to share this one because I love seeing the grey guy lurking in the background. Now tell me, isn't this bag fabulous? I think it is perfect for the Autumn!


She added a zipper on the left, beaded the front panel and side pockets, added grommets with batik inserts at the bottom and the strap is a hemp like fabric with grommets. Lots of attention to detail!


Here's a close-up of the bead work and zipper.


Look at the grommets with the batik inserts! Love them!


I'm off tomorrow to prepare the instructions for Block 11 of my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along. I'll have the instructions available for you early Friday morning. We are going to try something new with this block and I hope you'll find it fun and maybe use the idea for other quilts!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

6 comments:

  1. Great post - thanks for all the links! I am looking for little gift projects right now and you have given me much lovely inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well all I can say is you both are really creative and creative. Love both bags and all goodies. So very nice. PS several of the ladies in our buildings quilt group are making Hexagons now.. I think they are getting the addiction too. Lol.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both bags (and goodies) are great. I do like the way you quilted the one you made and then appliquéd it, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Karen both bags are just beautiful! You ladies are so very talented... thank you for sharing them with us.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag you made is so so cute! And you recieved a cute one as well! What a fun swap! I was catching up on posts...Good Golly Miss Molly is coming along wonderfully! "George" and "Molly" will be great companions! Can't wait to see how you quilt "him"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen some amazing bags in this swap. These are no exception.

    ReplyDelete