Friday, July 11, 2014

Value Proposition - Block 7

Welcome to Block 7 of my Value Proposition Quilt Along (QAL). If you've been following along you can guess what I'm going to tell you......I love this block! The design is very simple but it is my colour choices that knock my socks off! I've also used a couple of directional, one subtle and the other more noticeable and I think I've used them to good effect. I encourage you to look in your stash and think about directional prints and also how you place your prints! Many fabrics are directional if you look at them closely and by paying attention to them you can really turn your block into something special!


Value Proposition Map for Block 7



Value Proposition Recipe for Block 7
  • Cut 18 Light-Medium* identified as A on Map (12 for Round 2 and 6 for Round 3)
  • Cut 19 Dark-Medium** identified as B on Map (1 for Center, 6 for Round 1 and 12 for Round 3)
* I used a subtle directional print for the 12 hexagons in Round 2 and I chose a second fabric for the 6 hexagons in Round 3.
** I used a variety of Dark Medium fabrics. The 6 in Round 1 are fussy cut from a single fabric. The 12 in Round 3 are scrappy and the last hexagon was fussy cut for the Center.

My Value Proposition Block
This is my block shown in black and white. I fussy cut the center and Round 1. If you look carefully at Round 2 you will notice that it is a directional print so I paid attention to the direction of the print when I assembled the block. Round three is quite scrappy however you will again notice that there are some stripes used and once again I paid attention to the direction making sure that they are all arranged the same way, radiating out from the center. If you missed my post on the use of directional prints you will find it here.




This is the colour picture of my block! I really like the way it turned out. By focusing on the placement of the directional prints it adds interest to the block but also makes it look more polished.



I set up a Value Proposition QAL page on Flickr so that you can post pictures of your blocks and also see what others are doing! There are many very different and exciting blocks to see so do drop by and if you have time leave a comment if you see something you like!

If you are looking for previous Block installments of my Value Proposition QAL you will find all of the links under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H just under the banner. I hope you enjoy making Block 7. Block 8 will be available on July 25, 2014.

I hope you are enjoying this QAL! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email. I send an email response to every comment so if you don't hear from me it means you are a no-reply blogger and I have no way of contacting you.

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

8 comments:

  1. Thanks K aren for another fun block.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caught up and ready for this one!! Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now get ludicrously excited waiting for the next block to arrive!

    No idea what I'm signing in as these days, I keep ending up on my husband's ID, but I'm jackie d on the QAL Flickr group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I'm almost caught up. Oh, wait, I still have that half block to do, too. But I'm gaining on you! Thinking about colors now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely unusual block. I love your colour choices

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I'm nearly done with #2 and have #3 all cut out, ready to baste. I'm bringing up the rear but I'm loving this QAL!! Thank you for sharing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!......I'm enjoying this QAL. I've been following each and every step and I hope to do this one....someday.

    ReplyDelete